Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Unfinished Documentary

    It was summer 2010; when I had this knack of shooting a documentary. Well; I possessed a book on Archaeology of Delhi by the ASI and I must say for any one who wants to learn more about the historical structures and landscapes in Delhi, it's by far the best source. One of my most planned experience by far I guess; I scripted down a documentary on 'Emergence of a Capital'. Hence, it all goes back to the Old Fort; where the earliest remains from Nothern Painted Grey Ware were found and are to be associated with 1200 BCE. Since the region used to be connoted as Indrapat; the site is identified as Indraprastha, the mythical city of the Pandavas. From there on, by the banks of Yamuna (The Yamuna then); Delhi lived on. It was in Ashoka's Era that he even inscribed in the rock, the message of Dharma and peace near the Kalka Ji Mandir (Kali Mandir known for sacrifices in the past) at Srinivaspuri colony.


 
 Then we come across the first city of Delhi; or technically the second if we consider Indraprastha to be first. It was the Qutub Archaeological complex where the Tomars built their city in the Lal Kot (fort) later fortified further by Prithvi Raj Chauhan in the 12th century AD. However, over the period of Central Asian invasions Prithvi Raj lost the 2nd battle of Tahrain (Thanesar) to Mohmadd Ghauri and the city of Rai Pithora to Ghauri's slave Qutub-ud-din-Aibak. And the rest as we know is history; Qutub-ud-din-Aibak demolished all the temples in the fort complex and near to build the mosque and other structures in the Qutub Minar Complex. Since then we have come across six other cities of Delhi; and finally coming to one modern capital which covers all seven. 

    After the script; I did make director's notes and plan my shoot. I shot a few scenes as to the scripted documentary as well; however I had to then leave to Hyderabad, and I could never get myself together for video editing since I always faced trouble softwares like Adobe After Effects (The damn thing hangs up my whole laptop) and Windows Movie Maker is.. well 'Crap'. However I am looking forward to get a hang of alternative softwares, and resume the work on the documentary with luck and time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment